Recommended fabrics: light elastic material.
Important: this skirt is to stretches crosswise. Due to this, cut elastic material that strengths longwise in cross direction, and cut elastic material that stretches crosswise in length direction.
You will need: elastic poplin that stretches longwise (cut in crosswise); corresponding elastic lining (cut in length direction); fusible interfacing; hidden zipper.
Attention! Fabric consumption varies depending on the size of garment. First of all, print out paper patterns and lay them out at the width of fabric/ knit you plan to use, to see how much fabric you will need.
When sewing the garment, pay attention to notches- they must coincide.
1. Front panel - 1 folded detail
2. Back panel - 1 folded detail
3. Waistband - 1 detail
4. Waistband front facing - 1 detail
5. Waistband back facing - 1 detail
Front panel - 1 folded panel
Back panel - 1 folded panel
Fusible interfacing: press interfacing stripes of 1.5 cm (5/8") to panels along zipper edge
1. Sew darts into front and back panels, press them towards center.
2. Sew right side seam.
3. Sew hidden zipper under left side edges of panels: open it and press the spiral with thumb nail so that you can see seam line between the band and the spiral. Put opened zipper right side on skirt right side. To sew zipper accurately in accordance with marking seam lines, you have to define the interval between zipper band and fabric edge: seam allowance width minus 1 cm (3/8") of band width is distance to fabric edge. Pin zipper band upper end to fabric at necessary distance. Lower end of zipper band projects the lower end of split. Adjust the foot above the zipper so that the spiral was under foot hollow, to the right from the needle. Sew zipper from the top end to split mark. Close zipper. Put another zipper band right side to right side of skirt along another split edge and pin upper end of band with one pin. Open zipper again. Adjust foot above zipper so that spiral was under foot hollow, to the left from the needle. Topstitch the band from upper end to split mark. Close zipper. Pin cutting details edges below split, fold free lower end of zipper into seam allowance.
4. Sew left side seam from the zipper mark down to slit mark; begin this seam as near as possible to last stitches of zipper joining.
5. Sew waistband to the waistline. Cut seam allowance to 0.5 cm (3/16") and press into skirt. Topstitch skirt closely to waistband joining seam.
6. Sew darts and right side seam into lining. Sew right side seam on waistband facings. Sew waistband facing to lining. Press seam allowance into lining. Put lining with sewn waistband facing to the skirt right sides together and sew it to upper edge of waistband and left side edges up to zipper beginning, and then stitch to linen joining seam closely to zipper joining seams. Cut seam allowance closely to stitch. Fold the facing into wrong side and press edges.
7. Press hem allowance into wrong side and sew by hand. Press slit allowance into wrong side and sew to hem. Sew the hem so that it was 2 cm (6/8") shorter than ready garment length. Fold the lining and sew to zipper bands. Tuck lining below zipper and sew it to seam and hem allowances.