Attention! Fabric consumption varies depending on the size of garment. First of all, print out paper patterns and lay them out at the width of fabric/ knit you plan to use, to see how much fabric you will need.
When sewing the garment, pay attention to notches- they must coincide.
Recommended fabric: highly-elastic types of knits (pretty heavyweight though).
You will need: knit fabric; 4 eyelets, drawcord for lacing (refer to your pattern for cord length), elastic for waistband 4.5–5 cm (1-5/8”- 2”) wide (refer to your pattern for length of elastic).
Shell 1 (not very stretchy knit):
1. Side Back Panel – 2 pieces
2. Side Front Panel – 2 pieces
3. Waistband – 1 piece
Shell 2 (highly-elastic knit):
4. Center Front Panel – 1 piece
5. Center Back Panel - 1 piece
Note: if you use unique fabric and cannot find a matching drawcord, you can prepare the strings for lacing yourself, out of shell fabric, or some contrasting fabric. Follow pt. 1 for instructions. If you use ready-made cord, skip pt.1
1. For each of two strings, cut a lengthwise stripe of fabric 2 cm (3/4”)wide. Fold inside raw edges at both long sides of the stripe, press. Fold in half lengthwise, press. Topstitch the string at two-folds side 0.2 cm (1/16”) from the edge.
2. Prepare loops for lacing. Cut drawcord into pieces 4–5 cm (1-5/8” - 2”) long (28 loops).
3. Mark loops placement at Side Front Panels and Side Back Panels. Baste and sew loops to allowances of Side Panels.
4. Sew Front and Back vertical seams. Serge allowances; press them towards Side Parts.
5. Sew side seams. Serge seam allowances separately; press seams open.
6. Fold the Waistband lengthwise in half, wrong side inside, and press. Open the Waistband, fold short ends face sides together, and stitch at the short ends, leaving an opening to insert elastic. Serge one raw edge of Waistband. Sew outer half (unserged) of Waistband to the top edge of skirt, matching the notches. Tuck seam allowances inside the Waistband. Stitch in the ditch of waist seam to attach inner (serged) edge of Waistband.
7. Serge bottom edge of skirt, turn under, press and topstitch.
8. Insert two drawcords (or strings of fabric) into loops, tie ends, put on cord tips. Insert and pull elastic through the Waistband. Hand-sew elastic into a ring.