Recommended fabrics: silk, rayon.
You will need: fabric, invisible zipper (refer to your pattern for zipper length).
Attention! Fabric consumption varies depending on the size of garment. First of all, print out paper patterns and lay them out at the width of fabric/ knit you plan to use, to see how much fabric you will need.
When sewing the garment, pay attention to notches- they must coincide.
1. Back – 2 pieces
2. Shoulder strap – 4 pieces
3. Front – 2 pieces
4. Front Neckline Facing – 2 pieces
5. Back Neckline Facing – 2 pieces
Fusible interfacing: Front and Back Neckline Facings.
1. Reinforce Front and Back Neckline Facings with fusible interfacing.
2. Sew and serge princess seams of Fronts. Press allowances towards center front.
3. Sew darts at Backs. Press darts’ allowances towards center back.
4. Sew and serge side seams. Press allowances towards center back.
5. Line up every two pieces of Shoulder Straps face-to-face, stitch together at all sides, leaving an opening about 1-1/2” long in one of the seams. Clip allowances in corners. Turn out Shoulder Straps, press. Edgestitch shoulder straps all around, turning inside the raw edges at the opening.
6. Serge center front edges of each Front. Sew center front seam between the notches of top and bottom slits.
7. Sew side seams of Front and Back Neckline Facings. Press seams open.
8. Serge bottom edge of Facings.
9. Serge center back edges of Backs. Sew center back seam from the notch for zipper down to the bottom. Press seam open, turning under and pressing allowances of zipper opening (from notch up to neckline) as well. Place invisible zipper underneath the opening at back, baste. Sew zipper to back.
10. Sew front ends of Shoulder Straps to Fronts. Put on the dress, adjust length of Shoulder Straps, pinning them to Back. Take off the dress, stitch back ends of Shoulder Straps to Back.
11. Line up Neckline Facings with neckline of dress, face-to-face, and stitch together at front and back necklines. Clip allowances at top corners of Front and Back. Turn the Neckline Facing to the wrong side of garment. Press neckline. Turn under edges of Back Facings at the zipper area, and hand-sew to zipper tape.
12. Serge bottom of dress. Turn under hem allowance, hand-sew with invisible stitches.