Recommended fabrics: silky, well-draping fabrics for the bottom part, lace knit – for the top.
You will need: Crepe, atlas or other silky fabric; lace knit; 1 zipper; 12 buttons.
Attention! Fabric consumption varies depending on the size of garment. First of all, print out paper patterns and lay them out at the width of fabric/ knit you plan to use, to see how much fabric you will need.
When sewing the garment, pay attention to notches- they must coincide.
1. Top Center Front – 2 pieces
2. Top Side Front – 4 pieces
3. Top Back – 4 pieces
4. Sleeve-4 pieces
*Note: lace top consists of two layers – outer and inner, thus quantity of each top piece is doubled.
5. Bottom Center Back – 2 pieces
6. Bottom Side Back -2 pieces
7. Bottom Center Front – 2 pieces
8. Bottom Side Front – 2 pieces
9. Bias cut stripe 65 cm long, 3 cm wide (for button loops)
NOTE: You are supposed to assemble outer lace Top and inner lace Top in the same manner. Later on (pt. 3), you will join them together for one Top for the dress.
1. Sew darts of the Top Back. Sew Front vertical seams. Sew side seams, shoulder seams and seams of sleeves. Seam allowances of each of those seams must be cut off down to the width of 0.75 cm (1/4") , serged together and pressed to the side. Press darts towards center back seam.
2. Fold bias stripe in half lengthwise, stitch along the raw edge, turn out. Cut into pieces about 5 cm long. Fold each piece in half to create a loop. Pin loops to the center back edge of left outer part of Back at equal distances between them. IMPORTANT: raw edges of loops should be matched with center back raw edges; the loops themselves should rest on the left Back piece. EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: size/ length of loop depends on the diameter of buttons you plan to use.
3. Place inner and outer Tops face-to-face and sew together at center back edges and neckline. Cut seam allowances down to the width of 0.5 cm (3/16") . Turn to the face side and topstitch very close to the edge along center back seams and neckline. Baste together (do not turn under) raw edges at armholes and bottom of Top.
4. Place Sleeve parts together face-to-face, sew around at bottom edges, turn out and topstitch. Baste together raw edges of each sleeve. Place sleeves into armholes, gathering at top of each sleeve. Baste and sew sleeves into armholes. Cut seam allowances close to the seam and serge.
5. Assemble Dress bottom part. Sew vertical seams of Fronts and Backs, side seams, center front seam and center back seam (leaving open an area for zipper).
6. Sew bottom and top of the dress together. Press seam allowances towards bottom. Sew in zipper so it’s invisible, turning under top ends of zipper tape.
7. Hem the dress: turn under raw edge, baste and stitch around.