Recommended fabrics: woolen or blended fabrics for dresses
You will need: Printed wool flannel; fusible interfacing; 8 pink buttons 1.4 cm (1/2”) in diameter.
Attention! Fabric consumption varies depending on the size of garment. First of all, print out paper patterns and lay them out at the width of fabric/ knit you plan to use, to see how much fabric you will need.
When sewing the garment, pay attention to notches- they must coincide.
Top Front - 2 pieces
Side Top Front - 2 pieces
Side Top Back - 2 pieces
Top Back - 1 piece
Front Placket - 2 pieces
Sleeve - 2 pieces
Collar - 2 pieces
Cuff - 2 pieces
Bow - 4 pieces
Ruffle - 2 pieces
Sleeve Vent Facing - 2 pieces
Skirt Front Panel – 2 pieces
Skirt Back Panel - 1 piece
Fusible Interfacing: outer Collar and half-width of Front Plackets.
1. Reinforce outer Collar and half-width of each Front Placket with fusible interfacing.
2. Sew shoulder seams of Top Front and Top Back. Serge allowances separately and press them open. Sew and serge in a similar manner side seams of Top Front and Top Back.
3. Press Ruffle lengthwise in half, wrong side inside, baste long raw edges together and stitch at seam allowance with long machine-stitches. Pull threads to gather the Ruffle so that it matches in length with princess seams of Top Front and Top Back. Pin the Ruffle to princess seam (at the face side), aligning raw edges.
4. Fold each piece of Bow lengthwise in half, face side inside, and stitch down at long and one short edges. Turn out to the face side, press and edgestitch. Pin Bow pieces at the Top Front and Top Back (as per pattern marks), on top of Ruffles.
5. Sew princess seams of Front and Back, matching the notches and attaching Ruffles and Bows at the same time. Press allowances towards center front and center back; edgestitch princess seams.
6. Sew side seams of skirt, press and serge allowances. Turn under and press hem allowance of skirt; turn under raw edge and double-topstitch the hem.
7. Machine-baste at the waist edge of skirt. Pull threads to gather waistline of skirt to match in length with bottom edge of Top; baste. Stitch skirt to top of dress; serge allowances and press them towards top of dress. Edgestitch waist seam.
8. Make a cut for Sleeve vent at each Sleeve as per pattern mark. Trim the Vent with Sleeve Vent Facing. Place the Vent Facing onto face side of Sleeve, aligning raw edges, and stitch along the cut at 1/4" width of Facing. Fold the Facing over seam allowances; turn under 1/4" width of Facing at raw edge, baste. Stitch in the ditch of previous Vent Facing seam. Press front side of piping to the wrong side of Sleeve and baste to Sleeve at bottom.
9. Assemble each Sleeve. Machine-baste at Sleeve head between the notches. Pull threads to gather Sleeve head so that Sleeve matches armhole in length. Spray Sleeve head with water and iron gathers with a tip of iron. Sew under-sleeve seam, press allowances open and serge them. Pin Sleeve into armhole, matching the notches, and sew armhole seam (Sleeve must be a top layer when stitching). Serge armhole allowances.
10. Assemble Cuffs. Fold each Cuff lengthwise in half, face sides inside, and stitch down at short ends. Clip allowances in corners, turn out and press. Machine-baste at Sleeve bottom between. Pull threads to gather Sleeve bottom so that it matches Cuff in length. Place Cuff with its reinforced side at the bottom of Sleeve, aligning raw edges, and stitch together. Turn seam allowances inside the Cuff and press. Turn under raw edge of Cuff, baste to Sleeve/Cuff seam. Stitch in the ditch of Cuff seam. Proceed with edgestitching all around the Cuff.
11. Place Collar pieces face-to-face and stitch together at the outer edges; clip allowances in corners and at curves; turn out and press the Collar.
12. Place the Collar into neckline of Top, matching the notches with shoulder seams. Baste lower (non-reinforced) half of Collar to the neckline and stitch. Turn seam allowances inside the Collar, turn under raw edge of outer Collar, baste to garment. Stitch in the ditch of neckline seam to attach outer Collar. Edgestitch around the Collar.
13. Fold Front Placket lengthwise in half, face side inside, and stitch down at short edges. Clip allowances in corners, turn out and press.
14. Place Front Plackets along center front edges of dress, UNDERNEATH the dress! Baste and stitch lower (non-reinforced) half of Placket to the Front. Turn allowances inside the Placket, press. Turn under raw edge of outer (reinforced) half of Placket, baste to garment. Stitch at the Placket to attach outer half to the garment.
15. Mark and make buttonholes at the right Placket and Cuffs. Sew buttons accordingly.