Recommended fabrics: cotton, wool or blended fabrics suitable for dresses.
Attention! Fabric consumption varies depending on the size of garment. First of all, print out paper patterns and lay them out at the width of fabric/ knit you plan to use, to see how much fabric you will need.
When sewing the garment, pay attention to notches- they must coincide.
You will need: Black-and-white checked Taffeta; 55 cm (22”) of black Taffeta with small white dots 140 cm (55”) wide; 15 cm (6”) of fusible interfacing;1.25 m (50”) of white satin bias tape 1.5 cm (5/8“) wide; 6 pearly-white buttons 1.2 cm (1/2") in diameter.
Sleeve- 2 pieces
Front - 1 piece
Back - 2 pieces
Side Back - 2 pieces
Side Front - 2 pieces
Sleeve Vent Facing - 2 pieces
Back Closure Facing - 2 pieces
Front and Back Panels - 2 pieces
Polka Dot Taffeta:
Belt - 2 pieces
Collar - 4 pieces
Back Neck Facing - 2 pieces
Cuff - 2 pieces
Fusible interfacing: Collar, half-width of each Cuff.
1. Reinforce 2 outer parts of Collar and half-width of each Cuff.
2. Sew Side Front to the Sleeve, serge allowances, press them towards Sleeve. Topstitch. Sew Sleeve to Side Back in the same manner.
3. Sew Front and Back at shoulder seams, serge allowances.
4. Fold Belt piece lengthwise in half, face side inside, stitch at long and slanted edges; turn out, press and topstitch.
5. Fold pleats at the raw edge of each Belt as per pattern, pin the Belt, directed toward side of dress, onto face side of Side Back, with raw edges of Belt and Side Back aligned.
6. Make gathers at Sleeve head. Sew Sleeve joined with Sides to Front and Back, matching the notches and attaching the Belt pieces. Serge allowances, press them towards center front and center back, topstitch the seams.
7. Make a cut at each Sleeve as per pattern. Work the raw edges of Sleeve Vent with the bias Sleeve Vent Facing. Place Facing onto vent, aligning raw edges, and stitch at 1/4" of Facing width. Turn the Facing over the raw edge of sleeve vent, turn under the remaining raw edge of Facing (1/4" of Facing width), and stitch in the ditch of previous seam.
8. Sew under-Sleeve and side seams at one go. Serge allowances.
9. Gather bottom of Sleeve to match in length with Cuff. Assemble Cuffs. Fold each Cuff in half lengthwise face side inside, stitch down short ends. Clip the corners, turn out the Cuff. Place reinforced half of Cuff face-to-face with bottom of Sleeve, stitch together. Press allowances inside the Cuff. Turn under and press raw edge of Cuff, and stitch in the ditch along the previous seam. Proceed to make a topstitching around the Cuff.
10. Cut off two pieces of satin bias tape enough to trim outer edges of each of two Collars. Press bias tape in half lengthwise. Baste bias tape to face side of reinforced Collar, with raw edges of tape and collar aligned.
11. Place reinforced and non-reinforced parts of each Collar face-to-face and stitch around the outer edges. Turn out, press and topstitch. Pin both collars, directed downwards, onto face side of garment, matching at neckline as well as matching collar notches with shoulder seams. Place Neckline Facing on top of pinned Collar. Match all raw edges at neckline, baste along the neckline. Sew together all layers at neckline. Turn down the Neckline Facing and press it. Turn under raw edge of Neckline Facing, topstitch onto dress at the edge of Neckline Facing, thus covering raw edges of neckline allowances.
12. Make a cut 7 cm (2-3/4”) long at center back line of Back Panel. Press Back Closure Facing piece lengthwise in half, wrong side inside. Turn under raw edges and press. Encase raw edges of back cut for closure into the Back Closure Facing, topstitch.
13. Sew side seams of skirt, serge allowances.
14. Turn under and press hem allowance of skirt. Turn under raw edge once again, topstitch.
15. Turn under twice and topstitch inside raw edges of extended Back facings.
16. Gather waist edge of skirt to match in length with bottom edge of top. Sew top to bottom at waistline, as well as stitching extended Back Facings of top to Back Closure Facings of skirt. Serge seam allowances, press them towards top, and topstitch.
17. Turn extended Back Facings of top to the face side of garment. At the wrong side, stitch down short ends of facing at neckline; turn out and press the neckline/center back corners.
18. Make buttonholes into left Back and cuffs as per pattern. Sew buttons accordingly.
19. Tie a bow out of the remains of satin tape, hand-sew the bow at center front between the collars.