Recommended fabrics: cotton, woolen or blended fabrics suitable for dresses.
Attention! Fabric consumption varies depending on the size of garment. First of all, print out paper patterns and lay them out at the width of fabric/ knit you plan to use, to see how much fabric you will need.
When sewing the garment, pay attention to notches- they must coincide.
You will need: Printed red cotton flannel; 15 cm (6”) of fusible interfacing 60 cm (36”) wide; 60 cm (24“) of blue knitted tape 2 cm (1”) wide; 8 blue buttons 1.2 cm in diameter.
Front - 4 pieces
Back - 2 pieces
Collar - 2 pieces
Sleeve - 2 pieces
Side Skirt Panel - 2 pieces
Front Skirt Panel - 2 pieces
Back Skirt Panel - 1 piece
Pocket - 2 pieces
Patch for Back - 1 piece
Fusible interfacing: Collar.
1. Reinforce with fusible interfacing outer piece of Collar only.
2. NOTE: there’s going to be outer and inner tops of dress. Sew side seams of outer top of dress. Press allowances open. Sew shoulder seams of outer top, press allowances towards back and make decorative topstitching.
3. Assemble inner top of dress similar to the outer top.
4. Place inner and outer tops face-to-face, stitch along center front edges and neckline corners up to notches for Collar. Bottom, armholes and most of neckline should NOT be stitched. Turn out the top to the face side, press, baste or staystitch at armholes and neckline.
5. Cut a piece of knit tape to trim with piping a rounded edge of Patch for Back.
6. Pin the Patch onto face side of Back as per pattern.
7. Assemble Sleeves. Stitch at sleeve head allowance between the notches. Pull thread ends to gather sleeve head so that sleeve fits the armhole. Moisten the fabric and press gathers with tip of hot iron. Sew under-sleeve seam, press allowances open. Pin the sleeve to the garment, matching the notches, and sew it into armhole. Stitch at the Sleeve! Press allowances towards armhole. Topstitch.
8. Cut knit tape into 2 pieces to trim bottom hems. Stitch together ends of a tape strip to form a ring. Encase bottom edge of sleeve into the tape and stitch around.
9. Place Collar pieces face-to-face, sew around the outer edges, turn out and press.
10. Match raw edges of Collar and neckline, placing Collar onto face side of Back. Match the notches, and sew under-Collar ONLY (non-reinforced half) to the neckline. Press allowances inside the collar, turn under raw edge of upper-Collar (reinforced) and stitch in the ditch of neckline seam.
11. Sew Side Skirt Panels to Front Skirt Panels, matching the notches, press allowances towards Side Panels. Topstitch at 0.5 cm (3/16").
12. Turn under and press allowance at top of Pocket. Turn under raw edge, double-topstitch (with two parallel topstitchings).
13. Turn under and press raw edges of Pocket. Place and topstitch the Pocket onto skirt of dress as per pattern.
14. Turn under and topstitch raw edge of extended Front Facing of skirt.
15. Stitch at top allowance of skirt. Pull thread ends to gather skirt so it matches top of dress at waist.
16. Sew skirt to top at waist, matching notches of top with seams of attaching Side Panels of skirt, attaching extended Front Facings, too. Serge seam allowances, press them towards top and topstitch.
17. Press Front Facings of skirt and topstitch center front edges and outer edges of Collar.
18. Turn under and press bottom hem allowance of the dress. Turn under raw edge and topstitch. Make a decorative topstitching at the bottom of skirt. Work buttonholes at the right Front as per pattern. Sew buttons accordingly.